There are always going to be times when the spouse will bow out from kitchen duty unexpectedly, you'll get caught up at work or simply won't be in the mood to labour in the kitchen to feed your little ones. Believe me, I've been there. There are days when the husband and I have been tempted to feed the kids milk and bread because cooking felt like just too much work at the end of a particularly trying day! And so I badgered kitchen-ninja type friends and family into sharing quick, yummy and healthy recipes of one-course meals. No, even on our most flamboyant cooking days, the husband and I will never be the five-different-dishes-for-five-members-of-the-family kind of parents that the ads on TV seem to boast of. But hey, at least these meals will ensure that our kids will never accuse us of feeding them packets of Parle-G for dinner! We'll just have to make our peace with that.
(Recipe by Kanika Khanna, Sous Chef, Mint Café, Sydney)
Roasted Vegetable Lasagne
- Red capsicum: 1 (sliced)
- Yellow capsicum: 1 (sliced)
- Green capsicum: 1 (sliced)
- Mushrooms: 100gms (sliced)
- Zuccini: 1 (sliced)
- Eggplant: 1 (sliced)
- Onion: 1 (sliced)
- Tomatoes: 1 can't (blanched and skin removed)
- Garlic: 6 to 7 cloves (crushed)
- Basil leaves: a handful
- Mixed dried herbs: 1 tbsp
- Lasagne sheets: 250 gms
- Grated cheddar: 1/2 cup
- Grated Parmesan: 1/2 cup
- Olive oil
- A dash of Nandos piri piri sauce (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 200° Celsius.
- Take a baking tray and brush with olive oil.
- Add the vegetables and mixed herbs.
- Mix well.
- Add seasoning.
- Roast for 12 to 15 minutes.
- While the vegetables roast take a pan and add olive oil to it.
- Once the oil heats up, add crushed garlic to it.
- Next, add the can of tomatoes and basil.
- Check seasoning.
- Cook for 10 minutes
The final bake
Take the vegetables out from the oven and start layering a second baking dish. Spread the sauce first (1/3rd), followed by the vegetables (1/3rd) and finally add the lasagne sheet. Sprinkle some parmesan. Repeat this twice and then finish with a final layer of the lasagne sheet and spread the cheddar cheese on top. Put it in the oven to bake for 10 mins.
And voila! Within 30 minutes you're done with kitchen duty and ready to lose yourself in the bliss of mindless and trashy TV. Sigh. Heaven.