Wearing red lipstick can glam you up even on the dullest of days. But what puzzles most women when it comes to this bold lip colour is, which shade would look best on them. But fret not. Here are some tips on how to wear red right for every occasion. So, take your pick and go beautiful in your very own shade of red!
Matching you shade with your skin
The first step is to get the shade of red that works best with your skin tone. There are 2 basic types of skin tones-cool or warm. Cool complexions are pale with pink undertones and tend to burn in the sun easily, whereas warm complexions have yellow, olive and darker undertones that tan more easily in the sun. Here's how you decide:
- If you have a cool complexion (read: lighter skin tone), opt for shades of true red or a pinkish-red lipstick. The Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick Fire & Ice, priced at ₹ 600, is a true red shade you could pick. Another option for the cooler maidens is the Chanel Rouge Allure Passion. Although a little pricey at ₹ 2,100, this Chanel is totally worth wearing!
- For warm skin tone, it's best to choose warmer reds with a brown base, or even a rusty red shade. Many Indian girls would find that these shades work best for our earthy skin tone. There are some great options to choose from that are easy on the pocket too. Colorbar Velvet Matte Hot Hot Hot priced at ₹ 275, or Maybelline's Pleasure Me Red priced at ₹ 300, are some of the hottest shades of red meant just for the earthier Indian skin.
The next thing to should consider is the lighting you're going to be in. If you are planning to wear red lipstick during the day, then go for a softer, subtler shade that won't reflect brightly in sunlight. For the evening, you can choose a more dramatic shade of red that has a glossy shine.
- Avoid deeper shades of red in case you have thin lips, as they tend to make the lips look thinner.
- Select a blue-based red, instead of a warmer shade, in case you have yellow teeth, as this tends to make the teeth look whiter. Mac's signature shade Ruby Woo, priced at ₹ 990, is a perfect blue-red shade that works wonderfully for the Indian skin tone. This matte red hue can be comfortably worn throughout the day without the fear of it bleeding or getting wiped out.
- Don't go for over-dramatic eyes while wearing red lipstick. Try to keep your overall look subtle with light eye make-up and mascara, so that your lips can lead the look.
These are just some of the lovely hues of red we recommend for Indian women-go ahead and sport the right shade the next time you want to look your best!