One of the most sobering revelations about parenting is the realisation that the life you brought into this world may not always share your tastes and choices. Kids have a mind and palate of their own! Now, I love mushrooms; I can devour them in any form, including salads that use them raw. Imagine my disappointment when I saw my daughter picking the mushrooms from her sandwich and putting them aside! But there's no force bigger than a mother on a mission. After all, they're packed with the B vitamins (riboflavin, niacin and pantothenic acid) and essential minerals (selenium, copper and potassium). So I spoke to two chef friends who gave me recipes that even my mushroom-hating daughter can't resist. Here, I'm sharing them with you. May the force be with you too!
(Recipe by Chef Prem Kumar Pogakula, Executive Sous Chef, The Imperial, New Delhi)
- Button mushrooms trimmed and sliced: 500gms
- Onion finely chopped: 50gms
- Garlic finely chopped: 50gms
- Green chillies finely chopped: 1nos (optional)
- Olive oil: 40ml
- Salt: to taste
- Chopped coriander: 50gms
- Cheddar cheese: 100gms
- 6-inch corn tortillas: 6nos
- Toss the mushrooms, onion, garlic and chilies together in a bowl until well mixed.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat until very hot. Add the mushroom mixture all at once, season with salt and cook via stirring and tossing until the mushrooms are browned.
- Scrape the mushrooms into a bowl, taste and season with more salt if required.
- Spread the cheese over half of each tortilla, leave a small border along the edge. Top with 2 heaped tablespoons of the mushroom mixture and chopped coriander.
- Fold the empty side over the filling and press firmly to close.
- Cook the quesadillas in batches on the griddle, turning once until light golden and crisp about three minutes per side. Serve immediately.
Pasta with Mushroom Neapolitan Sauce
(Recipe by nutrition expert Tarini Kapur, promoter of TLC Kitchen, Delhi)
- Boiled pasta: 2 cups (al dente which means boiled to just the right bite)
- Olive oil: 2tbsp
- Crushed garlic: 1tbsp
- Sliced mushrooms: 50 to 60gms (thickly sliced)
- Blanched (de-skinned) tomatoes: 1 cup, finely chopped
- Basil leaves: 6 (torn)
- Salt: to taste
- Sugar: 1tsp
- Heat oil in a wok, add the crushed garlic. Saute for 30 seconds and add the sliced mushrooms. Saute the mushrooms for about 30 seconds to a minute. Remove from oil.
- Add the tomatoes that are already blanched, de-skinned and chopped to the oil.
- Add the basil, sugar and salt. Let cook for about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms back into the sauce.
- Serve the sauce on top of al dente Pasta.